I have been feeling like a sponge lately in two ways. Number one, I am rapidly “soaking” up all the pounds my body can handle. It is quite bizarre to see my body change daily... it is also wonderful because of who is doing the changing. Number two, I am in investigation mode on all topics concerning parenting. I love to read and believe that there are many things Mitchell and I can glean from intellectual knowledge of parenting, but even more than that is the advice and example of those around us. We have so many parent friends who are all different and wonderful in the way they parent. I have “absorbed” numerous jewels from each one and would like to share some of those with you.
From our sweet friends Erin and Brian we have learned how to be honest with your children and model the traits we want to see them develop. They have also taught us how to guide our child and train him through using the bible as foundation.
From my friend Melissa I have learned that there is no such thing as cuddling too much. She is a model of what true love is for your children. I pray I am as tender as she is with her children.
From my friend Natalie I have learned that the first two weeks are the hardest, but to hold on and it will get easier. She has also shown me that I will figure out what to do and how to do it and not to worry.
From my DownLine teacher, JB, I have learned the importance of guiding Rivers into manhood. He taught me to get out of the way and allow him to learn from Mitchell how to be a man. I have no idea how to be a man (thank goodness) but I feel so blessed to be married to someone who is such a great example of a strong, adventurous, caring, Christian leader. You can tell I am nuts about him!!
From my mother and father in law, David and Paula, I have learned what it looks like to let go and allow your children to grow and change. They have been the most amazing blessing to me and I pray I am as accepting and wise as they are. They give so generously to their children and I have felt accepted as a part of the Glass family from day one. They are also a great example of keeping their relationship a priority. I want Mitchell and I to always keep each other a priority as our family grows. I know this will be a challenge, but I also know our family will be healthier if we do.
From my brothers Miller and Lawrence (even though they are not parents), I have learned so much. I am so grateful to be having a son because I loved growing up with boys and I pray that my children have the type of relationship I have with them.
From my greatest examples, my mom and dad, I have learned the most. From my mom I have learned that staying calm and not getting upset over the small things will create a more peaceful and productive environment. She has taught me to love and accept Rivers just for who he is. God made him a certain way and he has been entrusted to Mitchell and for a short time to train and develop him for the tasks God has set out for him. My dad has taught me how to give myself completely and to know that I know nothing. All I can truly know is that God is in control. His humility and openness had shown me to fully rely on God for everything Rivers needs. The balance of these two traits (willingness and humility) will help me get out of God’s way and be used as an instrument in Rivers’ life. What freedom and peace!!
A Court of Feels and Angst
9 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment