Lessons From A New Mommy (Chapter 1)

God’s got it. It is so easy as a new mom to be overwhelmed with all of the things that could go wrong with your child.
Is he still breathing? Did he get enough to eat? What was that noise? Should I take his temperature for the 13th time? Why is he crying? I guess he has gas. Maybe he is tired. What does the book say?
I have to remember that God created Rivers and is going to take care of him. That is the only thing that keeps me sane (I use that term loosely).

The pacifier can be your best friend. As the daughter of an orthodontist and wife of a dentist, I was worried that using a pacifier would hinder Rivers’ oral development in some way. After the first night in the hospital I realized that the benefits of using one outweighed the negative possibilities. He can always get braces :). I have an ultrasound of him sucking his fist so I think if he is going to be a thumb sucker it is just going to happen.
Read books about babies BEFORE you have a baby. I read tons of parenting books while I was pregnant and read books about each day of my pregnancy, but did not think that I might need to read something about taking care of a baby. I called some of my parent friends and asked things like “What does he sleep in?” “How do I know if he is sick?” “Do all babies’ heads look this way?”

Don’t get dressed until after you feed. I have learned from experience that I will get something on me whether it is spit up, pee, or some other unknown material. I thought about wearing an apron (if I had one) before going to church.

Middle of the night feedings are the best prayer time. My prayer life has been so encouraged since Rivers was born. There is something special about rocking a sweet baby while the house is completely quiet and the world is asleep. God is so sweet to me and I love this special time between the three of us. People always ask me if Rivers is sleeping through the night yet and I think that I will be sad when he does because it is one of my favorite times. Sleep is good, but time with him and the Lord is the best.
Just because it says newborn does not mean it will fit YOUR newborn. Rivers is a big boy and I have tried to squeeze him into many outfits that say they will fit his age, but the weight is the true key to a good fit. Rivers is about to be in 6-9 month clothes because he is already 15lbs. Oooo I love that big boy!! Don’t cry over spilled milk. That’s all I am going to say about that.

1 comment:

  1. I could not have written this any better. I just may have to copy and paste to my blog! Your words are so true- every single one of them! And you're right, there is nothing like rocking that sweet baby when the house is completely quiet and still.

    ReplyDelete